3.31.2011

Mushy Bananas

All right, let the food making begin! Since one of the two foods that don't require cooking prior to pureeing was sitting on my counter top, I just couldn't resist mashing it up for little E the other day.  I know, I know, every veteran parent has told me: "Don't do fruits first! She'll like the sweet and never eat  her veggies!" Well, guess what??  I don't cook, and Paul was out of town, and the banana was speaking to me! So there!

Sorry for the rage.  Anywho, I took a bit and put it on Em's lips, and she loved it!  So, off to mash I go... For those of you who know my eating habits, you know my adventurous side as it relates to the culinary arts is somewhat restricted. Despite this, I am determined to have a kid who will at least try foods that I won't dare put in my mouth.  You may also know that mushy foods make me gag.  A lot.  I want you to imagine the scene I'm setting: E grinning ear to ear while drooling at the chance of inhaling the sickeningly sweet banana, while her mom is trying her best to make it look appetizing while holding back gag after gag, which happens to be worsening as the banana gets closer and closer to the correct texture.

As a caveat, I'm a speech pathologist who works with folks who can't swallow, which often requires pureed food, thickened liquid and cleaning out really awful things from peoples' not so clean mouths. Yes. I gag at work, too.

So I got to this point:
4 perfectly divided 1 ounce portions

And then I needed a break.  But my sweet little girl is staring at me! Drooling! She has to have it!  And then I remember something wonderful passed down from my sister-in-law... A food mill!  AHHHHH...  Relief.  Something about this makes me feel so much better, that I push through and get 'er done.

Best. Invention. Ever.

E has had bananas for breakfast now, and absolutely loves them. And to you "no fruits before veggies" folks, don't worry, I will make up for the fact that this was her first food, and give her the veggies she will most undoubtedly love next week.  I'm not sure if I was clear enough in my last post. The kid loves to chow.  No joke.

Post-banana tummy time

Until next time,

Mrs. Kuda

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs