10.01.2014

Day 1: Why Encourage?

Well, we've made it to day one, and I can't tell you how excited/nervous/terrified I am to be embarking on this adventure. Why, you ask? Because writing for 31 days straight on anything is enough to make a girl's head spin. And on encouragement? Oy.

I'll tell you why. This past week as been a doozy. Kids were ornery, momma was tired, and Mr. Kuda and I were running around like chickens with our heads cut off trying to maintain our normal schedule and routine.

How in the world am I supposed to encourage anything? I ended the week feeling beat up and thrown out.

But then.

We were sitting in church on Sunday, and three separate women spoke to me with encouraging words that struck straight through to my heart. THREE. While all of them will remain forever in my mind as "the women who helped me through that one doozy (of oh, so many) of a week," one in particular made me want to hug her and shake her and say "THANK YOU!"

She leaned over to me, and whispered, "Your children are beautiful. I love watching you with them. My baby just graduated from high school last year, and watching you brings me back to those sweet days. You're doing it, aren't you? You're getting through the tough ones, one day at a time, and you're doing it. Way to go, momma."

And then I almost lost it, tears and all, as the homily began. She spoke to my heart so clearly and succinctly, and it was like God had plucked her out of a thousand women just for me and told her to give me a pep talk.

**

What if? What if you just follow your gut and not worry about how others will see you? What if you see that momma or neighbor or friend just getting by, and actually say or do something without fear of looking different or silly? What if you start doing more random acts of kindness? What if that is really what it's all about?

For me, the past year has been one of great change, and without encouragement from new and old friends, family, and even strangers, I'm not sure where I would be spiritually or emotionally. It was a hard year, but it was so great.



Welcome to the first day of the challenge. I'm so glad you're here.

xoxo, k.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! Yesterday I had lunch with a friend who has "been there," and she was so encouraging. (A few years ago I couldn't even have gotten away to have lunch with a friend!) Most men are more blunt: "Grandchildren are great. Remember than when you want to kill [your son] now."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only I had a dollar for every time I got a variation of the "Remember this when..." comment! So happy you were able to get out with a good friend. Sometimes nothing fills you up better :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you so much! I will definitely check out. Love meeting new bloggy friends :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs