10.30.2014

Day 30: Brave


As I drove down the highway with the rain pelting the window, I looked in the rearview mirror to see those sweet faces dancing to the beat of the radio. And the tears came rolling down. The words carried such weight for this particular time in my life, that I could barely catch my breath.

We know we were made for so much more than ordinary lives
It’s time for us to more than just survive
We were made to thrive.


I had been hardly surviving, but I’ve been called to thrive. I’d been so focused on the present moment: the dirty dishes and never-ending laundry, the piles of dog hair taking over my life, and the imperfect house, that I had forgotten our purpose here: To bravely thrive in this broken world. To be the light.

But my story doesn’t start on that rainy day. It started the day we up and moved our family from our comfy-cozy lifestyle with great friends and a network as big as the Capitol building to depend on. It started when we plopped ourselves in the (seemingly) middle of nowhere with no one to call on for eggs, a quick chat or a reality check.

It was just the five of us. And a bunch of deer. And spiders the size of my head.

Really.

But then He began to provide.

Urging us to go to church one random spring morning in a town we’ve never even heard of. Finding a realtor who understands our hearts, and sought to make sure we were taken care of in not one, but two homes to live in this year. Placing the sweet angel of a woman in a park on a random early fall day, who had the courage to invite me to join a group of preschool moms when I had no one to call ‘friend.’

I didn’t realize it at the time, but God was giving me little chunks of courage. Little bite-sized morsels to tell me, “I’m here. Be brave, Kristin. You were called to thrive in this place.”

Twelve months. It took me twelve months to see the bravery in it all. Bravery in my life has been to take one step forward without actually knowing what lies ahead: moving beyond fear and the comfort of the known by reaching out praying for someone to catch me.

What I didn’t know that first day we travelled to our new hometown, was what brave actually looked like. I didn’t know bravery meant to do what the heartstrings of your soul were telling you to do, even if it didn’t make sense. I didn’t know that bravery meant asking for help in a community of women that already seem filled to the brim with commitments to others. And I didn’t know bravery would lead to this very place of stepping so far outside my comfort zone it makes my palms sweat.

So when the days wear on, the tantrums persist, and there isn’t enough Frozen in the world to get you through the day, let the tiny morsels of courage help get you through. You’ll find that you’ll not only just survive. You’ll thrive.



xoxo, k.

8 comments:

  1. Do you know how much I love this song? (Well...and just about any Casting Crowns song...) The words are a challenge, but one full of hope. Will we commit to letting God come in and help us thrive, when we can barely survive. Are we brave enough to living a thriving life? And are we will to be broken to get there?

    Hugs to you today! How has October flown by so fast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea, but clearly you have fantastic taste in music :) "Are we willing to be broken to get there?" Such wise words, friend!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks for the reminder to thrive and not just survive. And to be brave! The Lord is so very faithful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the sweetness of the reminder that God gives us courage in little chunks. So true! He is so faithful, and your words help me to take a deep breath and take one thing at a time today. Your series has been fantastic, Kristin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this great reminder! I am so happy you chose to see the bravery and stick with it, even though it took you 12 months. May you reap richly from this!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Template By Designer Blogs